Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • Categories

  • April 29, 2006

    Logged Dive #178 – Diving The Ruby E Wreck

    Wreck Diving The Ruby E
    Off the Lois Anne Boat
    San Diego, CA

    Dove with fellow DM student Ron T; Instructor John followed.

    In With: 3700 psi (Overfill!)
    Out With: 2000 psi
    Max depth: 70 feet
    Waves: Insignificant
    Visibility: 20 feet
    Water Temperature: 51 degrees Fahrenheit
    Total Bottom Time: 20 minutes

    The Ruby E is a sunken Coast Guard Cutter.

    Vis on this dive was a little better than on the Yukon; but, maybe it just looked that way because we could see practically the whole ship – the Yukon is just too big.

    I again was the first one off the boat; we followed the mooring line down to the ship.

    Strawberry Anemones

    There was some kind of purple coral of the wreck – later identified as Strawberry Anemones.

    Ron and I swam through the wheelhouse…

    Ron outside the wheelhouse

    Ron Inside The Wheelhouse

    There are sharp points along the deck where the railing used to be.

    It was cold; I was getting an “ice cream” headache.

    John went in to the hull.

    Looking into the hull.

    Ron motioned to me that we should go up.

    Ron was diving very conservatively; he may have been narced, but I didn’t think so.

    However a 20-minute dive at 70 feet after an hour surface interval seems pretty short to me.

    We did our safety stop and surfaced with no problem.

    A lot of the other divers were doing decompression diving.

    John said, “they put a lot of faith on theory.”

    A lot of the other divers were knuckleheads.

    I think a lot of it was the typical new diver syndrome – new equipment and big egos.

    As part of our Dive Master class, we talked extensively to the hot Dive Master, Anita.

    She said she gets frustrated with the divers who don’t listen or don’t respond.

    The DM Anita, The Captain and John in the foreground.

    The DM Anita, The Captain and John in the foreground.

    I said to Anita, “So if I stop breathing, you would give me mouth to mouth resuscitation?”

    The Captain interrupted, “I know CPR, too.”

    There was a fishing boat that kept following us; Anita had to “shoe them away.”

    After a short and beerless trip back to the harbor, John and I packed up and went to lunch with his nephew Michael Paul and his friend who are training to become Navy Seals.

    With gas prices over $3 a gallon, there were not many people on the road.

    At 4:30 AM, we made it to San Diego in an hour and a half – the same amount of time it took us to come back at 3 PM.

    No Comments

    No comments yet.

    RSS feed for comments on this post.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

    RSS Subscribe

    Blog Search: The Source for Blogs




    ©Copyright 2002-2021 All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.