Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • You are currently browsing the archives for the News Clippings category.

  • Categories

  • « Previous PageNext Page »

    March 8, 2011

    Millions Of Dead Fish At King Harbor In Redondo Beach

    Massive die offs are currently more common than you might think, as reported from this (hopefully) unrelated article.

    Speculation of the causes range from global warming, the gulf oil spill and the CIA testing death rays.

    Max BottomTime has posted exclusive, as it happened video:


    To view this video on YouTube, click here.

    *****************************************

    From the original LA Times article:

    Authorities in Redondo Beach are investigating what killed millions of fish over the last day at King Harbor Marina.

    Fish, including anchovies, sardines and mackerel were floating lifeless in Basins 1 and 2 of the north side of King Harbor Marina.

    Millions of dead fish litter Redondo Marina.

    (Photo from the LA Times)

    “There’s basically fish everywhere you go in the harbor,” said the harbor’s assistant manager, Jason McMullin, who added that there were reports that a red tide may have driven the fish into the harbor in massive numbers where they died because of limited oxygen.

    Redondo Beach public works officials were dispatched to the harbor to investigate further but did not have immediate comment.

    The fish were attracting huge flocks of seagulls and other birds.

    Updated at 12:15 p.m.: Redondo Beach officials said initial assessments suggest oxygen depletion in the King Harbor basins caused the massive fish die-off.

    City Manager Bill Workman said city officials with the help of marine experts would help determine if there was any environmental issue involved. Tests are now being performed on the water as officials begin removing the dead fish, which city officials estimated to be in the millions.

    “There are no visible signs of any toxins that might have caused [the die-off] and our early assessment is that this was oxygen depletion,” Workman said. “This is similar to what we experienced five years ago but that was distinctly a red tide event but there’s no discoloration of the water, no associated foaming in the waves, Workman said. “There are no oil slicks or leaking of substances into the water.”

    Workman noted that the harbor had been teeming in recent weeks with bait fish that even after their deaths “had no signs of degradation.”

    — Andrew Blankstein

    February 23, 2011

    SF Man Arrested For Abalone Poaching Three Times In Three Weeks

    A San Francisco man has been arrested for his third abalone poaching violation in as many weeks, a California Department of Fish and Game spokesman said.

    Qiong Wang, 31, was arrested Saturday in Van Damme State Park on the Mendocino coast three miles south of Mendocino, Fish and Game spokesman Patrick Foy said.

    Fish and Game wardens watched Wang and David Trevors, 28, of San Francisco, for two hours as the pair allegedly kayaked into the ocean and used scuba gear to collect 55 abalone, Foy said.

    The men allegedly stashed the abalone near the beach and drove to the Sub-Surface Progression dive shop in Fort Bragg to return their rented kayak, Foy said.

    Wardens arrested the men at the dive shop and recovered the abalone and Trevors’ vehicle. They also seized the pair’s dive gear.

    Wang and Trevors were booked into Mendocino County Jail for felony conspiracy, the taking of abalone for commercial purposes, and other charges, Foy said.

    On Feb. 12, Mendocino County sheriff’s deputies stopped Wang for speeding on state Highway 28 near Boonville, Foy said.

    The deputies found two wet duffel bags containing fresh abalone in the back seat and contacted Fish and Game warden Don Powers, Foy said.

    Powers found 36 red abalone, five of them undersized, as well as five scuba tanks and scuba diving gear in the trunk of Wang’s car, Foy said.

    Wang was booked into Mendocino County Jail for possession of abalone for commercial sale, and his Toyota sedan and dive gear were seized as evidence, Foy said. He was released from jail Feb. 14.

    While they were investigating another crime, Petaluma police also contacted Wang and Trevors in Petaluma on Feb. 2, Foy said. The two men were allegedly in possession of five abalone during closed season.

    The abalone season closed Dec. 1 and will reopen April 1.

    Wang was cited for several misdemeanors, including over-limit and out-of-season takes, Foy said.

    Wardens have noticed an increase in abalone poaching over the past few years on the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts, Foy said.

    Fish and Game Assistant Chief Tony Warrington said that for many abalone poachers, the profit from selling illegal abalone outweighs the risk of getting caught.

    James Lanaras, Bay City News

    The original February 23, 2011 article can be found here.

    « Previous PageNext Page »




    RSS Subscribe
    Subscribe!

     

     

     

    ©Copyright 2002-2026 Psychosolodiver.com. All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.