Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • You are currently browsing the archives for the Mishaps/Accidents category.

  • Categories

  • « Previous PageNext Page »

    April 16, 2012

    Divers Call Off Search For Man Who Jumped Off Redondo Pier

    From wire service reports via The Daily Breeze

    REDONDO BEACH – Divers and a helicopter crew have indefinitely suspended the search for the body of a 22-year-old man who jumped — along with a woman — into the ocean from the Redondo Beach Pier, a county fire dispatcher said.

    A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and Los Angeles County fire department scuba divers searched the area Sunday, said Redondo Beach police Sgt. Shawn Freeman.

    Divers ended their search when darkness fell Sunday night, said dispatch supervisor Michael Pittman, and there is no indication they will resume. The Coast Guard helicopter broke off its search at 1 p.m. Sunday, said Danny Phee, a civilian search and rescue controller.

    Police also went to the Redondo Beach home of the jumper, David Thompson, and held out small hope that he may have made it ashore unseen and spent the night elsewhere.

    Thompson and an unidentified woman leaped off the pier at 11:08 p.m. Saturday, and the woman made it through the surf to the shore. But Thompson was last seen going under a wave and not coming up.

    Firefighters and police officers raced to Horseshoe Beach next to the pier and found the wet woman. She initially told authorities that only she had jumped off the pier, but eventually conceded that a man had actually jumped off the pier with her.

    Firefighters and police officers were joined by county lifeguards and the U.S. Coast Guard, and searched the immediate area for Thompson. The water temperature in the area was 55-59 degrees and the surf was 2-4 feet when the pair jumped off the pier, according to the National Weather Service.

    Paramedics transported the woman, believed to be a resident of Redondo Beach, to Little Company of Mary Hospital for treatment of hypothermia, submersion and intoxication, Freeman said.

    The original story can be found here: UPDATED: Search called off for man who jumped from Redondo Beach pier

    March 26, 2012

    James Cameron’s Sub Springs Leak Seven Miles Below Ocean

    The weather and diving conditions have been crappy lately, so sorry for no recent personal updates.

    However, one of my heros in the diving world has set a record for the deepest solo submarine dive in history.

    However, he had to cut it short after his submarine sprung a leak seven miles under the ocean…

    James Cameron makes world record submarine dive.

    HONOLULU — Filmmaker James Cameron’s trip to the darkest depths of the ocean could have turned into a horror movie.

    Cameron surfaced three hours earlier than planned Monday after hydraulic fluid started leaking in his sub.

    The descent took 156 minutes, but after he noticed the fluid leak, Cameron decided to end the mission early and his ascent took just 70 minutes.

    “I saw a lot of hydraulic oil come up in front of the port. The port got coated with it. I couldn’t pick anything up, so I began to feel like it was a moment of diminishing returns to go on,” he said. “I lost a lot of thrusters. I lost the whole starboard side. That’s when I decided to come up. I couldn’t go any further — I was just spinning in a circle.”

    Cameron had told The Associated Press in an interview after a 5.1 mile-deep practice run near Papua New Guinea earlier this month that the water pressure at these massive depths “is in the back of your mind.” The submarine would implode in an instant if it leaked, he said.

    The entire article can be found here: James Cameron cuts short historic Mariana Trench dive after sub springs leak

    « Previous PageNext Page »




    RSS Subscribe
    Subscribe!

     

     

     

    ©Copyright 2002-2026 Psychosolodiver.com. All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.