Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • Categories

  • March 5, 2006

    Logged Dive #173 – DMITing An OpenWater Class At Veteran’s Park

    Veteran’s Park, Redondo Beach, CA

    Dove with Instructor John, Ron T. and John’s Open Water student Dr. Smith.*

    In With: 2900 psi
    Out With: 800 psi
    Max depth: 100 feet
    Waves: 1-4 feet
    Visibility: 10 feet, maybe 15.
    Water Temperature: Sort of cold.
    Total Bottom Time: 35 minutes
    Notable Event: My regulator started free flowing at 90 feet.
    *Open Water Student name has been changed.

    Ron and I “Dive Mastered” (on shore) the first dive and sent Jake (A rescue student) out to rescue an orange signal sausage.

    Jake went out for a swim before his “rescue” so he was too tired to make the second dive.

    So for the second dive, Instructor John, Ron T., Dr. Smith and I submerged around 10:30 AM – I’m guessing.

    John gave Dr. Smith his basic skills checkout.

    When Dr. Smith did his emergency exit, everyone surfaced except me.

    I was congested and was surprised that I didn’t have a problem getting down – I did take some Sudafed.

    John and Dr. Smith went in, Ron came back down and I motioned to him that I would follow.

    Annoying a few local crabs on the way down, I followed Ron to 100 feet.

    Ron’s computer didn’t work; I think he forgot to turn it on.

    We just took it slow, trying to find anything worthwhile.

    All of a sudden, I heard this “Pop! pssst….pssst…”

    “Oh fuck!,” I thought.

    It sounded like a broken hose; I looked at Ron, he was OK and oblivious to what I had heard.

    I looked at my gauges, they were fine – we were at 90 feet.

    I was afraid to take a breath because I feared inhaling water – my cheeks kept inflating – my rig was free flowing!

    I pressed the purge valve a few times and that stopped it.

    My heart was about to jump out of my chest.

    The rest of the dive went along pretty uneventful – that’s a good thing!

    We slowly made it back up the shelf, spending more than enough time as a safety stop.

    I walked ashore, slipping on the sand step; I picked myself back up.

    We met John and Dr. Smith back in the parking lot.

    Dr. Smith passed his OW class and invited us all out for a few drinks to celebrate.

    We politely declined; that’s not something I would usually do, but I could not cut this day short.

    We sat around and talked about how working for Hollywood sucks.

    I believe Dr. Smith works as a grip.

    No Comments

    No comments yet.

    RSS feed for comments on this post.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

    RSS Subscribe

    Blog Search: The Source for Blogs




    ©Copyright 2002-2021 All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.