Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • Categories

  • September 29, 2012

    Second Dive Of The 2012 Lobster Season Opening Night

    We moved the boat closer to where Nice Bob had caught his bugs.

    I told Reverend Al that my computer didn’t work, and that I would be gauging my dives off of his computer – he went the deepest on the last dive.

    I know, not the smartest thing to do, but I was determined to go home with some bugs.

    Shortly after my tank refill, the compressor over heated and broke.

    Well, I got my fill, and another tank, so I went over and down to the reef Nice Bob discovered on the last dive.

    Logged SCUBA Dive #423

    Solo Diving/SoCal Buddy Diving
    Secret Location: 31 30 30 20 79 61 72 64 73 20 66 72 6f 6d 20 74 68 65 20 6c 61 73 74 20 70 6c 61 63 65 2c 20 6e 65 61 72 20 74 68 65 20 72 6f 63 6b 20 74 68 61 74 20 72 65 73 65 6d 62 6c 65 73 20 61 20 68 65 6e 2e, Catalina Island

    In With: 2800 psi
    Out With: 500 psi
    Max depth: 43 feet
    Waves: Pretty flat
    Visibility: Up to 20 feet
    Water Temperature: 58 degrees
    Air Temperature: 69 degrees
    Total Bottom Time: About 40 minutes

    Other divers from others boats were on this reef; a diver passed right in front of me and over a lobster that I grabbed – I guess that person was out just for a fun night dive?

    There was a big colony of huge bugs in a hole; I grabbed onto one that was like grabbing a football, but it was in an awkward position and it broke free of my iron grip.

    On the other side of the reef, I caught a four pounder – the damn thing was grabbing onto the lip of my bag, preventing it from opening.

    After using my white belt Jiu Jitsu skills, I neutralized my opponent; it tapped out and crawled into my bag.

    If I would have been able to liberate every bug I tried to pin, I would have limited, but the terrain made it difficult to get a firm grip.

    Also, some times, unknown to me, I was actually cavern diving – these were pretty big reef indentations.

    I made it back to the boat with three bugs; it was now almost 3:00 AM.

    Other divers made it back with more bugs.

    Tanks are transferred from our boat for refills.

    Chipper and Reverend Al were still waiting for tank refills – the owner of the Sea Bass had another boat near by, and tanks were being transferred for fills there.

    Great, Al didn’t do his dive, so now my bottom time and surface intervals are now all an educated guess – children, don’t try this at home.

    The moon on opening night.

    The moon was full this morning; that was a concern for me, as rumor has it, bugs are afraid of any light.

    No Comments

    No comments yet.

    RSS feed for comments on this post.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

    RSS Subscribe

    Blog Search: The Source for Blogs




    ©Copyright 2002-2021 All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.