Click Here To Go To Psycho Solo Diver
  • HOME
  • Categories

  • December 28, 2008

    End Of The Year SCUBA Dive At Long Point

    Logged SCUBA Dive #326
    Old Marineland (aka Long Point, Terranea Resort)

    Dove With Dennis G., Reverend Al and Ted

    In With: 3000 psi
    Out With: 600 psi
    Max depth: 60 feet
    Waves: Pretty much, flat as a lake
    Visibility: 20 to 25 feet – Pretty damn good!
    Temperature: 54 degrees
    Total Bottom Time: About 50 minutes
    Notable Event: A Fellow Diver Had his Equipment Cart Taken

    With a storm earlier in the week, I arrived at Old Marineland surprised to see a repeat of the excellent conditions from last Sunday.

    We geared up fairly quickly, and after Dive Bum Don gave me a replacement O-ring for my first stage, we headed off to enter The Point.

    Midway through the switch-back trail, we cut through the opened fence that lead to The Point; a couple of divers were gearing up out of push carts near the new Terranea Hotel.

    The Point Off Old Marineland.

    As flat as a lake and a slight high tide made entrance almost too easy.

    Everyone made an easy and uneventful entrance.

    We swam out to drop on the statue at the Pinnacle.

    We descended; the vis was spectacular!

    We descended; the vis was spectacular!

    The Statue At The Pinnacle.

    We submerged right on target, although someone or something had stirred up the bottom.

    A Sunstar.

    A Sunstar enjoys the cold water.

    A colorful reef!

    Vis may have been slightly better than last week.

    Dennis and I broke away from the others, who had bigger tanks, and started to head for our planned exits at the Cove.

    We searched the rocks and reefs for any stupid, but legal lobsters that we could grab for.

    Again, the small ones were in reach, but the big ones were way back in the holes.

    Even some of my wide angle photos came out!

    Even some of my wide angle photos came out!

    We weaved through the kelp forest before reaching a slight stretch of sand.

    We weaved through the kelp forest before reaching a slight stretch of sand.

    We surfaced after 50 minutes and made a slight surface swim to an uneventful exit at The Cove.

    My brother brought me a beer right out of the water.

    I was pleasantly surprised to see my brother waiting to hand me a beer as soon as I crawled onto the dry rocks.

    Debriefing Begins!

    Dive Bum Don was nice enough to cook us some kind of meatless breakfast dish out of “Soyrizzo,” which, according to Don, “Is like Chorizzo but without the lips and ass of an animal.”

    Breakfast was good!

    My brother Paul tended the Bratwursts on my outdoor stove.

    A pair of divers soon emerged from the trail.

    One of them asked, “Did you see someone pushing a red cart?”

    Nobody had, but apparently when they finished their dive their cart had disappeared; it was parked right outside the new Terranea Hotel.

    Maybe Security took it?

    Maybe a super drunk fisherman?

    Instructor Ed stopped by to revisit the cast of characters here.

    Instructor Ed stopped by to revisit the cast of characters here.

    After about 15 minutes, one of the divers that was missing the cart came back to the lot and said he went to the main gates of Terranea, but that security wasn’t available because they were “chasing cats in their sewers.”

    Now the loss of the cart became even more apparent – the cart had strapped to it a bag containing car keys and a cell phone.

    Triple-A was called to break into the car, but the extra key for the diver’s truck was in San Diego.

    Just as a shot in the dark, Reverend Al, my brother Paul and I decided to walk back down the trail and see if we could find it.

    If we had to, we were all prepared to kick some ass to get the guy’s stuff back, just like OJ Simpson did in Las Vegas.

    Midway down the trail, I flagged over an approaching Security Guard; the fence was between us.

    “Excuse me, did you see a red cart?” I asked.

    “Hey, there’s a red cart sticking out of his trunk,” Reverend Al pointed out.

    The Security Guard asked, “Do you own this cart?”

    “No, but we know who does,” I said.

    “The owner of this cart is in serious trouble; every day you guys cut the fence and trespass on this property,” the guard said.

    “The fence was open, we just walked through it,” Reverend Al said.

    “You guys are lying to me; the person who owns this cart needs to come and see me… and make sure he brings his ID because I’m going to at least give him a ticket,” the Security Guard said.

    We walked back up to the parking lot where the owner of the cart was relieved to know who had it.

    Barney Fife Security Agency.

    The cart owner drove to the Terranea main gate where the asshole Security Guard basically said, “You can be charged with felony trespassing… you either admit to sneaking in or I’m going to call the Police right now and have you arrested.”

    Under direst, he admitted to it and got his cart and all his belongings back.

    I guess things are that boring for some of the Terranea guards?

    Also, sometime during my dive or all the excitement, it appears someone used the Duster as a porno prop – Terranea Security is investigating the incident.


    1. What chicken shit…it must have been hard not to punch that security guard in the mouth. Good thing everybody was in such a good mood after that great dive. Nice pictures this time.

      Comment by Charlie — December 29, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

    2. Great vis…What an ass hole guard.

      Now lets hear more about the porno?

      Comment by Michael Jessen — December 29, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

    3. Leave it to a security guard to put a hamper on what must have been an excellent day. Some people just don’t have anything better to do. Looks like everyone had a good dive though. Hopefully conditions hold out, so I can get a good dive in this week. Thanks for the great report!

      Comment by Frank — December 29, 2008 @ 8:54 pm

    4. Damm another beautiful day of diving I couldn’t make. :/

      Comment by Kenny R — December 30, 2008 @ 10:48 am

    5. From Divebum Don;
      I had another pow-wow today with Turner superintendent Steve Chew about current Point Trail entry/access/exit issues. THE POINT TRAIL IS CLOSED. We joked that it’s only a matter of months until there’s ALL access, but for now, even going through an open fence or gate into the job site will not be “cool” or tolerated (without special permission).

      Of course leaving a cart or dolly on their job site OR planning to exit the point and then leave their job site area with a cart full of “something?” was never anything he and I had agreed to, anticipated or had encountered until recently. PLEASE don’t do that! It rightly pisses off the guards. They’re in charge of a lot of expensive stuff. Job site security is a HUGE issue, I know, I’m a tradesman.

      I would avoid any point entries for now, just follow Max and Merry’s lead and enjoy the surface swim out, chat and enjoy the view on the way from the cove to the point :~)

      Happy New Year to all the Board posters and lurkers!

      Comment by Phil Garner — December 31, 2008 @ 9:38 pm

    RSS feed for comments on this post.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

    RSS Subscribe

    Blog Search: The Source for Blogs




    ©Copyright 2002-2021 All Rights Reserved. However, if you are going to steal anything from this site, please give me credit and link back.